Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011...

     I know resolutions get a bad rap, but I love them.  I love taking stock, setting new goals and trying to meet them.  Not that I meet all of them, mind you (still don't know how to juggle after several resolutions to learn to do so).  However, this year, I don't have any major ones to declare.  I suppose that is a good sign and it does fit in with my recent trend of just not doing a lot of things I normally do, simply because I don't feel like it.  Is that a sign that I am getting old?  or maybe wiser, godforbid.
     I am going to keep going with a few things that I have been doing, but feel I can continue to improve in.  First there is my commitment to  reducing the amount of plastic in our lives, especially in our kitchen.  I have made really good progress, using mostly glass, stainless steel and cast iron.  I recently replaced my aging coffee maker (Thanks to a xmas present!) with a metal percolator and love it!  It has been slow going, as I try to get things used, repurpose them or wait and request them as gifts, but progress has been made.
     I want to keep up with reducing my family's exposure to known carcinogens in cosmetics ( Please watch the story of cosmetics by clicking here, you'll be glad you did ).  We have made great strides in this, but have room to improve-- perhaps a challenge to me to craft a natural old-school barber type aftershave????  Our family now uses castile bar soap for shampooing and body washing, eliminating a lot of products/packaging.  Coconut oil from the grocery store is our go-to moisturizer.  I even made a nice deodorant from coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch and a few drops of clove and rosemary oils.  Having such weird skin issues this year really prompted these changes, but learning more about what is in so many products has made me glad to do it.
     I hope to improve my knitting and aim to knit Matt a pair of socks.  I hope to make my crafting and d.i.y.'ing even more ecologically sound by using second-hand supplies (anyone got any yarn they don't want :)? ) or repurposing supplies.
     I plan to step up my debt reduction/saving and continue to be frugal despite my desire to spoil everyone rotten.
     I will try not to buy anything I don't actually need, or can get used, etc...
     I aim to be easier on myself, take things a little more slowly (by my standards) and to say "no" a lot.  I hope to create situations for our family that result in less punishing and more redirection and praise.  I plan to continue to let my husband know that he is "sooooo my boyfriend" and my partner in crime.  I hope to be a good example and source of support to my daughter in raising her daughter, not a critic or kidnapper.  I will continue my role as household clown for the amusement of my tenants, and our northern neighbors as the drapes are rather sheer on those windows.
     I will learn to juggle.     :)

No comments:

Post a Comment