After several batches, I came up with a recipe for veggie hot dogs that suits my family's palate. The nice thing about this recipe is it is for a basic hot dog. It will accommodate many tastes as is, but could be reworked by adding favorite spices, such as red pepper flakes to become a specialty dog. There really aren't many recipes out there. I first tried the recipe on this site, thrifty living, which was really good, but too tofu-ish and soft for my taste. I also looked at vegan Dad's recipe, but did not try it. I combined this with my experience working with seitan and finally came up with this recipe after several tries. Here goes!
Veggie (Vegan) Hot Dogs
1/2 of a 15.5 oz. can of chickpeas (about 3/4 cup or so)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2/3 cup water
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup finely diced onion
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 cup + 3 Tbsp Vital Wheat Gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1. Combine in blender all ingredients EXCEPT Vital wheat gluten and nutritional yeast. Liquefy!!!!
2. Combine this with the vital wheat gluten and nutritional yeast in a bowl by hand or in a mixer with a bread hook. If doing by hand, knead until it no longer sticks to the bowl and is well combined.
3. Dump out and pat into pizza shape. Cut into 8 equal slices, like cutting a pizza.
4. Roll each slice into a hot dog shape and place each on their own piece of foil, close like a candy wrapper.
If you like a very smooth lovely shape, first wrap with a small piece of parchment paper and then foil.
5. Place in a steamer with seams facing down and steam for 45 minutes.
6. You can now eat them or you can chill or freeze for later, dropping the unwrapped defrosted wieners (love that word ;p ) into boiling water for 2 minutes. They can also be pan fried if you want that sort of thing. I imagine these would be nice on the grill, but it is winter, so I'll wait to try that out.
Update: If you like this, check out some other great ideas at frugal days, sustainable ways blog hop!