Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Shanny Bananny's Choco-Macaroon Lotion

     I finally wrote down how I make my natural lotion bars. Lotion bars is a misnomer, because I found them too melty to truly use as a bar, so I put them in a jar.  I like them to be sort of firm, but easily warmed by the fingers to allow it to be applied evenly. I also use this for my hair pomade and have found that using it on my eczema soothed it enough that I did not have to keep using cortisone. Since the eczema is around my eyes, that was major! The cortisone thins the skin and can cause glaucoma when used near the eyes.  This lotion has caused no side effects, other than smoothing out some wrinkles a little! I also keep some around to use as a foot lotion, which prevented any heel cracks this winter! The beeswax really seals in the moisture and when used on frequently washed hands, helps provide a water-resistant seal which seriously prevents cracking. Did I mention that this is a great lip balm also? Yes, this is a great all around product, which i love, love, love because less waste is generated by having to buy less individual products. I save the containers, clean and boil them and reuse them with the next batch. Also, this smells like chocolate macaroons, without adding any fragrance! I highly recommend the Nutiva coconut oil, It smells and tastes wonderful. I got an excellent price on amazon for it.
          This is so easy! If you can make microwave oatmeal, you can do this. If you can't find these products locally, they are easily found online. I use a postal scale to weigh my ingredients, but I didn't when I first made it, I just eyeballed it. If I felt it was too firm or too soft, all I did was reheat it and add more of the coconut oil (to soften it) or the beeswax (to firm it up).

recipe:     Simply melt equal portions of the following, gently stir, pour into containers and allow to cool.  
                                             * BEESWAX
                                             * COCOA BUTTER
                                             * COCONUT OIL
Here's how I did it. I used 7.5 oz. of each. Why 7.5 oz.? No reason at all, just seemed like the right amount for the containers I had, and I nailed it, down to the last drop.

This stuff is hard!

whack it with a hammer! Or just get it in pellet form :)

Weigh out the beeswax if you have a scale.

I keep a clean can that I use only for melting my beeswax. I put a little water in a sauce pan and place the can in it. Be careful not to get water in the beeswax, I'm sure it won't be good.

Serve up some cocoa butter, mmmmmm, chocoriffic smell!

Same for the coconut oil. This is starting to smell heavenly already!

Put the coconut oil and cocoa butter in a microwave safe bowl and melt it in the microwave, stirring every minute until melted.

This is good stuff!

cocoa butter and coconut oil are melted

So is the beeswax, which I pour into the coconut oil/cocoa butter mixture and stir until blended.

Simply piur into your containers and allow to cool.

Voila! Pretty as can be, natural, gentle and smells good enough to eat!

9 comments:

  1. I usually buy the beeswax beads at my local soap and candle store. Much easier than the hard block of beeswax. =) I love making my own lotions. With no petroleum products in them. I make a whipped body butter than my MIL swears by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I find these products if I do not have a candle shop near by? Will michaels or acmoore have these products?
    Thanks robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. whipped body butter sounds lovely! I went with the hard block of beeswax because my local craft store, Pat Catan's, has it for a great price, and I'm cheap like that, Lol. Coconut oil is generally sold in most grocery stores around me. But, I end up getting a lot of my stuff online too. I comparison shop, and I generally get good prices on Amazon, especially because if you have amazon prime, you can find deals with free 2-day shipping. A local farmer might have beeswax too, but I would expect it to be on the more expensive side. But probably excellent quality. Good luck, I hope you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the lotion need to me refridgerated at all or can you keep it at room temperature? The coconut oil I have says refridgerate after opening. Having cold lotion doesn't sound too appealing when it's cold outside? Thanks for any info you can give. Your lotion sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't refrigerate mine. But if it is really hot out, this will melt some, so I do not keep it in my purse unless it is in a jar with a spill-proof lid. I think that the refrigerated part is to cut down on rancidity, but I go through mine before that happens.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the recipe! My three favorite ingredients to use in my own recipes too - I'll definitely have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    Peace. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found a local beekeeper and got the beeswax cheaper than I could get it anywhere on the internet or local shop. And it's always great to use local, natural beeswax.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How oily is this? I need to make lotion for my 5 yr old's nightly massages. I found that titanium dioxide is in her current lotion and now I feel guilty for exposing her to it!

    ReplyDelete