Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sippy Cup Hack!




     I am trying to purge some stuff around the house, but I haven't been very successful, mainly because it sounds like a lot of work and I just don't want to work any harder. Ever feel like that? At some point in the near future, I will be doing something when an avalanche of house crap will smother me and I will make some promise to the gods of Good Housekeeping that if they get me out alive I will mend my junky ways. I will emerge from the debris with my cape waving behind me and tear through my house like a clutter-busting super hero! Or not.
     At any rate, I have been looking for safe affordable cups for the kids that minimize the chances for spills because my kids spill like it is their full-time job. So, I came up with this eco-frugal hack. I have small jelly jars left from my daughter's wedding. I had some BPA free lids that came with some bowls and I never use them. So I traced the inner lids onto the plastic lids and cut them out. I hate plastic, but the drinks don't touch the tops really, they are BPA free, and they were on hand, so there you go. A paper hole puncher makes the perfect hole for my GLORIOUS Stainless steel straws.  Then  I realized that by using the original lid and packing the other lid, I can actually keep these in a cooler for picnics/outings. And, I do know that canning lids contain BPA, but I am working on  a replacement that doesn't. I have found these:
Tattler Reusable Regular Canning Lids and Rubber Rings - 12 PackWhich are BPA free, but still plastic. Same for these


If anyone has found a better replacement for canning lids, please do pass them on!

No comments:

Post a Comment